THE SPIRIT Panel News Comic Con 2008
THE SPIRIT was actually a very exciting panel, they showed us two clips from the movie in addition to the already released trailer (which you can watch here).
– When explaining the wardrobe and character of Samuel L. Jackson, they called it the “black nazi.”
– The Eva Mendes as Sand Saref scene shown is supposed to be underwater, but since it’s a nightmare to actually film underwater, they used a new Phantom camera instead which shoots 1000 fps (frames per second).
– Even though the scene mentioned above is in slow motion, Eva Mendes had to act really fast while shooting.
– Eva Mendes actually broke all the nails on her hand while shooting this scene.
– The second scene shown was a fight scene between Gabriel Macht as The Spirit and Samuel L. Jackson as Octopus. They both use props in the scene which were created by Frank Miller.
– In that scene, The Octopus smashes The Spirit on the head with a toilet and then says “Come on, toilets are always funny.”
– The Octopus also uses a giant wrench in the scene which led Samuel L. Jackson to say “I always wanted to hit someone with a giant wrench.”
– The fight scene was in the mud which made each actor gain 6lbs because the mud was sticking to their clothes.
– That scene took about one week to film.
You can see pictures from The Spirit panel here.