• Uncategorized

7 Movie Pet Peeves That Might Annoy You Too

Kelly Michele

Kelly has been a lover of movies since she was little. Although her movie tastes have changed a little since her younger days of Carebears and Mary Poppins, her love of film hasn't. She can generally be found watching any horror movie she can get her hands on, but will occasionally throw an indie film or documentary into the mix to shake things up. She speaks in movie quotes and uses film references in daily conversation; and she does all of this while attempting to change the world's negative opinion of fangirls.

1. Eric says:

Love your list. I agree about the empty cup thing. So annoying. Also don’t like watching too many trailer because of the plot point thing as well.

If I had to add another pet peeve to add, it would be the driving scenes. Now I realize that characters have to sometimes look at each other but not to the point where an accident is likely to happen. Really? I am driving AND gazing in your eyes. Irritates me to no end.

• Kelly says:

YES! That’s a great one. And I also love how unnatural it is when actors try to “pretend” drive. They turn the wheel so hard that they’d for SURE drive right into another lane. GREAT addition.

2. Sandie says:

I agree with pretty much every one of your pet peeves. And I have been known to say, “well now I don’t need to see the movie they pretty much told me the whole story in the trailer,” which is really sad because I love trailers, but sometimes it’s better to avoid them.

However, I have to disagree with you about the Harry Potter example. I don’t think the eye color difference was a big deal, because Daniel Radcliffe embodied Harry Potter so well, it would have been wrong to try and find someone else who had green eyes.

And I definitely don’t think that they should have made Daniel Radcliffe or any actor wear color contacts or try to fix it in post, why? Because, as they say, the eyes are the window to the soul and if you mess with them, it might affect what the actor is trying to express through their eyes and in the end affect their performance as a whole.

On the other hand, if a character is supposed to have different hair color, I think it would be ok to have the actor dye their hair that color to match it, unless it looks really terrible on them.

Other than that, I’m with you about the omissions from the books when turned into movies.

Anyway, that was a fun list 🙂

• Kelly says:

I totally agree that Daniel is PERFECT as Harry and I wouldn’t THINK to put another person in that role. You know how obsessed I am with HP… BUT the green eye thing is a BIG DEAL in the books… and while I know we’re talking about movies, it still seems sort of like a plot point to keep in.

BUT I do see what you’re saying about contacts or effects making the eyes dull… that is something that we see fairly often in movies.

• Sandie says:

Oh I know you don’t mean they should have picked someone else to play the part. I guess I just didn’t think the green eyes was such a big deal even in the books. But then again, I am not someone who cares about descriptions that much when I read. 🙂

• Sandie says:

3. Anonymous says:

Agree with all of these! The make-up one is my biggest pet peeve. I always HATE how everyone wakes up with perfect hair…it bugs me.

Another one I’d have to put on there, which I guess goes with adaptations – changing the book for no reason. Devil Wears Prada is a good example of this…that book was a movie in of itself. And then they go and COMPLETELY do things that don’t even happen in the book. Just irks me. But this is more a personal issue. 😉

• Kelly says:

FOR REAL. On both points. I was SO disappointed in The Devil Wears Prada and The Nanny Diaries. They took two FANTASTIC books and tweaked them to be something that wasn’t even really recognizable as the novel they were based on.

The makeup thing drives me INSANE, but I just recently found a good example of a filmmaker NOT doing this. I watched The Tenth Kingdom (the miniseries) and there’s a scene where the lead character is sleeping (she has REALLY short hair at this point) and when she wakes up, ALL of her hair is flattened on the side she was sleeping on. It was the most realistic thing I’ve seen in a LONG time – I half expected to find out that the actress HAD fallen asleep during filming!

4. Rocky6 says:

Elevators that show what floor it is on in the lobby. How often do you see those?

5. Meghan Reding says:

Only argument is Harry Potter. Radcliffe is allergic to contacts, so he couldn’t wear colored contacts, and do you know how hard, how long, it would take to Photoshop every second of the movie to give him perfect green eyes? I’m just happy he was such a brilliant Harry.