5 Movies That Will Scare The Hell Out Of You

Kelly Michele

Kelly has been a lover of movies since she was little. Although her movie tastes have changed a little since her younger days of Carebears and Mary Poppins, her love of film hasn't. She can generally be found watching any horror movie she can get her hands on, but will occasionally throw an indie film or documentary into the mix to shake things up. She speaks in movie quotes and uses film references in daily conversation; and she does all of this while attempting to change the world's negative opinion of fangirls.

1. C H says:

Ok, here comes the person who says she never watches horror movies (which I kind of try to tell myself whenever I see a trailer and think “oh that might be a good one” before I realize that it is going to scare the shizz out of me) but really has watched a ton of them. I must be a masochist for all the nights I haven’t slept or went through my house switchign every light on and of again and for locking and relocking the doors. Though I do have the golden rule of never watching them at a theater.
    I haven’t watched Paranormal Activity (due to the fact that I do not have a safe feeling in American houses anyways, so I don’t want to add to that paranoia) so I can’T say anything about that one. Same goes for Pulse though It sounds intriguing and I guess I’ll end up watching it (thanks kelly xD).
    As for the others. I literally don’t like open water. I do swim in the ocean but only as long as I can see or touch the ocean floor. I would never ever jumo off any kind of boat to swim in the open ocean. For exactly something like what happens in the movie. It scares me to death not to know what is out there with me.
    Saw is just Saw. Because though itdoes scare it gives you some kind of moral guideline. He doesn’t choose is victims randomly but with an agenda which kind of takes some of the fright away for me. I quite enjoyed watching it (which I guess should make me think about my mental health).
    ANd I still vividly remember watching hostel for the first time. In a classroom in school during our free time between classes with a beamer and sound system that was supposed to be used for learning and a bunch of stupid people ^^ Not really scary. THe most scary part that day actually was that our principal could have walked in at any moment which would have gotten us suspended. But if I think about watchign that movie in a cinema or at home. No go. I live in Europe and I know some true stories that might not be exactly like that one but that resemble it close enough to not want to think about it too much.
    As to what you should add? I am one of the people who are pretty sure that all our nice little genetical experiments might one day lead to the Zombiepocalypse….So everything with halfways smart and/or fast zombies init will give me a heart attack.
    Really nice article 🙂 I enjoyed it ^^

• Kelly says:

Hi C T! I agree with you 100% about the zombie apocalypse! I love zombie movies, and while they scare the heck out of me, I have what I like to refer to as “Buffy Syndrome” (yeah, I know she was a vampire slayer, sue me.) and feel that I could kick zombie butt if I needed to.

Hostel scared me for the reasons that I said above and because I’m IGNORANT (if I could underline and bold that, I would) about that part of Europe. For all I know this place DOES exist… not saying that it couldn’t in America, but the move took place in Europe, so you catch my drift.

Open Water is terrifying because it IS a true story and I can’t even describe the fear that it puts in the pit of my stomach at the thought of being stranded in the middle of the ocean with NO idea where land is.

Pulse is GREAT. While it’s a horror movie, it’s not a horror movie in the sense that the other films are horror movies. It’s totally one that will make you think. And unplug your computer for a while.

Thank you so much for commenting!

• C H says:

I just remembered Texas Chainsaw Massacre….THat one is the reason why I will never ever leave a highway in the middle of nowhere in America and why I think that small Americ towns are creepy (sorry Americans)…..Just thinking that someone like that might be out there (and I a more than sure that there IS more than one person like that out there) makes me loose sleep for days.

About the zombies. Have you watched “the walking Dead” yet? I watched the pilot and while I really really liked it I have not yet been able to watch the second episode because it freaked me out beyond what I thought is possible. I think without the sometimes funny bits in it I wouldn’t even have made it through the first 30 minutes of the pilot.

2. Michelle StJames says:

I’ve only seen Paranormal Activity and Pulse from your list, and they absolutely scared the hell out of me. The others–well, frankly, I have a hard enough time with the descriptions of Saw and Hostel. As for Open Water–there would have to be a full-on blizzard and ice storm in hell before I even try watching that. I’m not sure I’d ever go back in the water if I did. 😉

My tolerance is low, so my list would be way too long, but one that is at the top is Pet Sematary. “Come play with me daddy! First I played with Jud, and then I played with mommy. We had an awful good time. Now I want to play with you.” Such a well-done movie.

• Kelly says:

LOL! Yeah, Open Water MESSED me up. And I live in Wisconsin, no where NEAR an ocean, but now even looking at lake michigan is scary for me. I don’t think it helped that it’s based on a true story. Yikes.

Saw and Hostel were great movies – if you like to be scared. If you don’t like to be terrified and grossed out (which I’m not really a fan of, but unfortunately it comes with the horror movie territory) then they are NOT movies that you’d want to partake in…lol.

Pet Sematary is an AMAZING movie. The quote that you posted gave me the chills… I think it’s scary because I can completely understand WHY he buries his son in that place. And well, killer children are always creepy. Throw in a scalpel and them hiding under a bed? FORGET IT.

3. JKay says:

The Ring…that scene with the girl coming up out of the well…still gives me goosebumps. That and the oldie but goodie Nightmare on Elm Street movies in the 80’s when i was a young kid…Sleeping was scary for a while after watching the first couple of Nightmare movies.

• Kelly says:

Hi JKay! The Ring is one that is ALWAYS on my lists of scary movies, moments, etc. That scene when Samara crawls out of the TV is terrifying.

4. Kat says:

I just… I can’t even handle this list.

I wept like a tiny child at Open Water. It was LITERALLY (I do not use this word if I do not mean it) my worst fear come to the big screen. I’ve been terrified of sharks ever since I can remember but this movie brought something new to the table (something no shark movie ever did after JAWS) – it added an element of suspense that wasn’t JUST because of the sharks. Losing all hope of rescue and wondering if you’ll die by drowning or by shark bite or starvation or dehydration or exposure… I have goose bumps just writing this.

I’ve said it a million times so once more won’t hurt: I didn’t sleep soundly for 6 weeks after seeing Paranormal Activity. I’ve rewatched it several times since (Why do I do it to myself, you ask? I answer: I HAVE NO IDEA!) and it STILL scares the bejeebers out of me.

Pulse scared me because I saw a lot of myself in the main characters. They were doing things I do on a daily basis and dying because of it.