Comic Con 2011: DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK / DRIVE (With Guillermo Del Toro, Ron Perlman, Carrie Mulligan & Guy Pearce)
The first movie panel that I had a chance to see at Comic Con was the Film District studio which presented Don’t Be Afraid of The Dark and Drive were presented together. Appearing in the panel: Guillermo Del Toro (Writer/Producer Don’t Be Afraid of The Dark) , Nicholas Winding Refn (Director – Drive), Ron Perlman (Drive), Carrie Mulligan (Drive), Troy Nixey (Director – Don’t Be Afraid of The Dark) and Guy Pearce (Don’t Be Afraid of The Dark).
The panel was strange as two movies were being presented at the same time and they were sort of interviewing each other and ignoring the moderator. Del Toro is very animated and has salty language. Winding is pretty interesting and has very thoughtful in his responses.
Some of the questions were really heavy in filmmaker questions which made the whole thing a little boring at times but overall a very entertaining panel:
Here are some highlights of the panel:
Don’t Be Afraid of The Dark)
– Guillermo Del Toro calls Drive a high wire act and calls Ron Perman creepy in the movie.
– Nicholas Winding Refn thinks that Don’t Be Afraid of The Dark) is a mix of poetry, cinema and commercialism. Very clever filmmaking.
– Guillermo Del Toro likes working with first time director because he feels that it’s his duty to produce new filmakers to keep things fresh.
– Troy Nixey: the creatures are scary “assholes” and their size helps to convey that.
– Del Toro: The creatures are especially scary because they never give up and are scared of no one.
– Guy Pearce: Play the non believer in the movie. Not a great father. this can frustrate the audience in a good way.
– Del Toro: Coming to shot in the US. The best thing to do is to learn how to say No.
– Why horror? Del Toro loves monsters because they are beautiful to him. He thinks that Monsters are “a living breathing fuck you to society” who praises perfection.
– Why is the movie R rated? Del Toro thought that rating was correct because the movie was pretty brutal.
– Saw trailer for Drive and it looked awesome. Feels like the transporter with better acting.
– Winding: Casting is like sex. Good Casting is like good sex. His job as a director is to encourage everyone to do their job.
– Carrie Mulligan: attracted to movie because of director Nicholas Winding. Wanted to work with him a lot.
– Winding: Choose LA because it was a romantic setting.
– Shot with wide angle lens to give more depth to the movie.
– Ron Perlman loved the italian aspect of his character and this was a great opportunity to play that as an italian gangsta.
– Ron Perlman”When you say action. some shit is going to happen”
– We saw a clip of the movie of Ryan Gosling beating up a guy. Very very violent. Gosling looks amazing in it.
– Winding wanted to give Drive a unique, emotional and intense thriller.
– Ryan Gosling had director approval and asked to have Winding in the movie. First meeting was like an awkward blind date at first but it led to the idea of the movie. Now both director and actor are BFFs.