WonderCon 2012: ‘Resident Evil: Retribution’ Panel with Milla Jovovich and Paul W. S. Anderson
Resident Evil is back with a fifth movie, Resident Evil: Retribution and star Milla Jovovich along with husband director Paul W. S. Anderson were at WonderCon 2012 in Anaheim, California over the weekend to take part in a panel about the upcoming film.
During the panel, the audience was privy to a teaser trailer (which you can watch here) and a full fighting sequence featuring Alice in a white hall battling vampires coming at her, all in 3D. It was pretty intense and will make fans of the series very happy.
As a side note I should say that even though I have only seen the first Resident Evil movie (the other ones are on my list to catch up), I think I’ve been to the last three panels for the Resident Evil movies at Comic Con and WonderCon and they are always my favorites. Milla Jovovich and Paul W. S. Anderson are really fun to listen to, so if there is a sixth movie and you get a chance to attend their panel, go for it.
Here are some highlights from the panel:
– The beginning of the movie is a direct continuation of the ending of movie #4. Then Retribution goes into an unusual and unexpected place. The film goes back to what happened before the virus hit and we’ll get to see old characters back.
– Michelle Rodriguez comes back. Paul W.S. Anderson loved working with her on the first film and he told us a story about how Rodgriguez told him he would regret this [killing her] when they were shooting her getting shot in the head in the fist film.
– Colin Salmon aka One will also return and some of the key video game characters will make appearances.
– Milla Jovovich is the first female action hero to get five films.
– “There is a compassion in her that I love.” – Milla Jovovich about her character Alice
– “This film is like nothing I’ve ever seen before.” – Milla Jovovich
– Milla Jovovich explained that now with 3D when you shoot fight scenes you have to get closer and to make things more real because you can see everything, so she always worries about hurting people.
– The video games and movies have a symbiotic relationship, some part of the video games make it into the movies and vice versa.
– They don’t know if there will be another movie after this one.
– “In terms of movies, this is the beginning of the end.” – Paul W. S. Anderson when asked how many more film he would do.
– Paul W. S. Anderson talked about the final film leading up to an epic battle where lots of people die. And fun fact, he didn’t say whether Alice would die.
– “I’ve always wanted to do Donkey Kong.” – Paul W. S. Anderson on what other video game he’d like to adapt to screen.
– They did all three 3D Resident Evil movies with the same crew.
Resident Evil: Retribution will be released to theaters on September 14th, 2012.
Here are more photos from the panel:
Follow me on Twitter @sosandrine