WonderCon 2012: ‘Sound of My Voice’ Panel with Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij
One of the film I’m really looking forward to this year is Brit Marling’s Sound of My Voice and of course I couldn’t miss the panel at WonderCon 2012, which took place in Anaheim, California over the weekend. The panel featured star, producer and co-writer Brit Marling and director/co-writer Zal Batmanglij.
Here are some of the highlights from the panel:
- The panel started out with two people who came out to talk to us about their tribe and to recruit us to their group. One of them was Richard Wharton who plays Klaus in the film. Not sure if people thought it was true but they didn’t break character.
- Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij explained that they were fascinated by the different fringe groups/cult groups around Los Angeles, and they started exploring some of them, which lead to the idea to make a film about a group about time travelers.
- The character of Maggie is a complex figure. For a while they had a blank space for her. Then they started to think about what a person claiming to be from the future would be and if they really were from the future, what they would be doing.
- Micro organism of this world affect Maggie so that’s why she lives purely in the basement and only a few people know where.
- Maggie smokes menthol cigarettes but takes herbal vitamins, that’s one of the dichotomy about her.
- Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij didn’t meet any cult leaders, but they watched a lot of documentaries and read a lot about them. Fun fact: a lot of them are ex-actors or ex-preachers.
- “The promise of something extraordinary is exciting.” – Zal Batmanglij about what seduces people into these groups.
- Brit and Zal explained that they wanted to make the film realistic without having a recognizable face star in it.
- They had seen the main two actors in other films and that’s how they cast them.
- During the panel Brit and Zal did the famous handshake. Pretty cool to see them do it together.
- Fun Fact: In order to shoot a scene that takes place in an airplane, director Zal Batmanglij, the DP and actor from the scene found a $25 flight to San Franscisco and filmed it when the plane took off. When they were coming back the stewardess asked what they were doing and they told her they were finishing taking pics from a vacation and she asked them if she could help them. The beauty of gorilla filmmaking.
- They might make a sequel if enough people are excited about it.
- Fun Fact: If you watched the first 12 minutes then you have seen the “secret” handshake, and at the WonderCon booth for the film, they would show you how to do it. It was pretty cool.
Sound of My Voice will be released to theaters on April 27th, 2012.
Here are more photos from the panel: