Comic Con 2011 Panel: RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (With Andy Serkis)
The RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES panel was the last panel of the 20th Century Fox presentation. Moderated by Damon Lindelof, the panel included the following participants: Rupert Wyatt (director), Andy Serkis.
This was by far my favorite panel because the clips of the movie look sooo good. The apes are so alive. You can’t help but root for them.
– Wyatt wanted to use CGI apes by using performance capture to simulate the apes.
– Andy Serkis (Golem in LOTR) play Cesar, the ape and we saw some of his footage. It looks great
– Serkis: Character is innocent soul that feels ostracized and leads other apes to revolution.
– Serkis: Performance capture is a tool that allows the actor to play any way they want.
– The movie was shot from a live action set.
– We saw another clip of Cesar getting into an altercation in the movie. Very intense and emotional scene. This movie looks amazing.
– Another clip was shown with Cesar freeing the apes after giving them a dose of the medicine to make them smart.
– Serkis: Have shot 60 days of The Hobbit and it is going to be amazing.
– Serkis: did not seek out performance capture but it was extraordinary to play Golem the first. Does not mind transforming into character.
– One more clip: Sizzle reel of the third act of the movie. looks intense.