FRIGHT NIGHT Comic-Con 2011 Panel
The panel for Fright Night at Comic-Con 2011 included Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, screenwriter Marti Noxon, and director Craig Gillespie. The moderator for the panel was Chris Sarandon who played the character of Jerry Dandrige in the original 1985 movie.
Here are some of the highlights from the panel:
– Director Craig Gillespie was interested in directing the remake because he loved the script so much.
– “The world of Comic-Con is very much alive in the movie.” -screenwriter Marti Noxon
– The movie is a re-imagining of the original movie, not just a remake.
– Colin Farrell was reluctant at first to play Jerry because he loved the original movie so much. But then he read the script and loved it. There was enough homage paid to the original in this new version to convince him to do it.
– For this movie, they made up a little of the story behind the character of Jerry.
– We were shown a few clips from the film. In the first one, Christopher Mintz-Plasse’s character tries to convince Anton Yelchin’s character, Charley Brewster, his neighbor, Jerry, is a vampire.
– Another clip featured a car chase in which Jerry is revealed for the vampire he is. Apparently, Chris Sarandon makes an appearance in the scene, but we didn’t see him in the clip.
– We also saw another clip that featured Peter Vincent (played by David Tennant), which was probably my favorite of the bunch (you can watch it here).
– Since David Tennant couldn’t make it to Comic-Con, we were shown a fun message from him. He is currently doing a Shakespeare play in London with another Doctor Who alumn, Catherine Tate.
– The movie will be released to theaters on August 19, 2011.
You can find more photos from the panel below.