Highlights From ‘The Avengers’ Press Conference
Joss Whedon’s most anticipated superhero film, The Avengers is almost upon us. Only a couple of days until he movie opens in theaters this Friday, May 4th.
To help with the wait, I wanted to share some fun highlights and tons of quotes from the fun press conference for the film, which featured almost the entire cast Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark/Iron Man), Chris Evans (Steve Rogers/Captain America), Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner/The Hulk), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Jeremy Renner (Clint Barton/Hawkeye), Tom Hiddleston (Loki), Clark Gregg (Agent Phil Coulson), Cobie Smulders (Agent Maria Hill), Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), director/writer Joss Whedon and producer Kevin Feige.
Make sure to also come back tomorrow for my review of the film, but for now here are the highlights:
– Producer Kevin Feige explained that the big fear was that the film would “crumble under its own weight.” He continued to say that the most important thing in the movie was the interaction with the characters and that with Joss Whedon’s work, the characters never get lost. That’s why he was the right person for the film.
– Joss Whedon shared that it was important to make sure that each character was getting the right amount of exposure.
– “It’s capturing the essence of the comic and being true to what’s wonderful about it while remembering that it’s a movie and not a comic,” Joss Whedon explained after being asked what the difference between a good comic book movie and a bad one is. He continued, “you have to give the spirit of the thing and then step away from that and create something cinematic and new.”
– Whedon explained that the most exhausting part of introducing an ensemble cast was tracking and organizing the info and telling the audience enough about the characters but not too much.
– “The most important thing for me was for it not to be spectacle for its own sake.” – Joss Whedon on his approach to spectacle. He added, “sometimes I would try to obey the laws of physics, and that would actually just make for weaker footage and eventually I just had to give myself up and realize that every time a car is hit by anything it blows up and flips over… A hamster could hit and… [explosion sound].”
– “It was nice not really having to carry the movie.” – Robert Downey Jr. joking.
– Chris Hemsworth explained that it was nice to have already shot Thor with with Tom Hiddleston because the conflict of this film hits closer to home for the character of Thor.
– “I remembered thinking ‘Yeah, this is the moment.'” – Chris Hemsworth on a 360 wide shot towards the end of the film.
– “That was a mistake. I will never do that again.” – Mark Ruffalo on reading fanboys reaction to his being cast as the Hulk
– “It was terrifying.” – Mark Ruffalo on suiting up for first time for Hulk.
– Fun fact: Mark Ruffalo based his interpretation of the Hulk on one single sentence his son said after watching the Hulk series: “Papa, he’s so misunderstood.”
– “I never get afraid of things, I only get excited.” – Tom Hiddleston on taking on the iconic role of Loki. He continued, “it’s so much fun, it’s such a great character, never mind the iconography. It’s like playing an iconic Shakespearian character, it’s just a privilege to be asked to do it.”
– Chris Evans mentioned that because Robert Downey Jr. is really good with improv, they always had to stay on their toes because he never does the same thing twice.
– Robert Downey Jr. pushed for Tony to be in a relationship in the film because he didn’t want him to be “crazy alone guy, but crazy in a relationship guy.”
– “It takes 2 hours to get into Loki’s outfit sometimes and it’s even more fun when you fight in it. The sweat pours in the chest and it’s a really luxurious experience.” – Tom Hiddleston. He did go on to salute costume designed Alexandra Byrne for her work on the costume.
– “Mine was being naked in front of Harry Dean Stanton.” – Mark Ruffalo on what the highlight was for him shooting ‘The Avengers’.
– “I don’t remember any of it.” – Joss Wehdon joking about what his most memorable moment is.
– “Getting to play with Thor’s hammer while he stroked my bow.” – Jeremy Renner joking on his most memorable moment.
– “I want to be Scarlett. I just want to be that cute for like 15 minutes.” – Samuel L. Jackson on which other character they would have liked to play in the film.
– Fun fact: At the premiere screening, Robert Downey Jr. commented to his wife, “They shot a lot in Cleveland,” referring to the scenes he only appeared in as Iron Man and didn’t get to shoot with the rest of the cast.
– “It’s really cool to be a woman in a man’s world and have my daughter see that.” – Colbie Smulders
– “Colbie [Smulders] is one of the best stunt people on the Avengers team. She did all her own jumping and flipping and shooting and stuff, she’s got that tomboy thing.” – Joss Whedon
Follow me on Twitter @sosandrine